Friday, September 7, 2012

LOST AND FOUND


LOST AND FOUND
JEFF CHAMBERLAIN
APRIL 22ND 2012

It was a quarter past seven in the evening, the summer sunlight barely piercing the sky and its vivid rays blissfully escaping the arms of the clouds up above. The sand at my feet was cooling down after a hot day like a freshly baked loaf of bread. With every footstep, I pressed my feet into the beach below with every grain lightly sifting between my toes. I made my way closer and closer to a faint dock but the closer I appeared, the closer it was to night. I obligated myself to find a seashell, a souvenir of some sort, a memory of the beach, and bring it back with me to my house. After closely examining several fine-grained shells with intricately designed patterns, I decided to look even farther for an even better work of natural sculpture. By this time the sun was just hovering above the ocean’s horizon with a thin section barely skimming the surface. I continued with my personal expedition. There were no people or birds for as far as the eye could see. The wind picked up ahead and the faint mirage of the large, wooden dock in the distance faded away within the fog. I still made it a point to find that seashell and venture to the dock.
As I stepped, I always made sure to dig my feet into it in order to uncover any shells that were unseen. I was getting some better luck and found about three in a row while walking closer to the evening tide that was slowly inching nearer to me every time that it moved outward. It persisted to recede backward the same distance that it went forward. The tide—the Earth’s visible heart consistently beating throughout the beach.
I paused along a rocky area to see if I could get a lucky find, when I saw the brightest seashell that I have ever seen—in books and real life. It was a pale gray color with white, horizontal stripes and metallic flecks which speckled throughout its outer surface. I carefully navigated my legs around the uneven rocks and prickly shrubs trying not to injure my foot. I reached my hand over to grab it but it must have been jammed between two underlying rocks because it would not become loose. I looked around for another rock to help release it and attempted to scrape the sand around it to see anything that would cause it to be stuck. I gave the shell a pull and yet it still remained stubborn enough to not let go of the ground.
A powerful wind aimed at the whole area where I was standing and I had to cover my face from a slight gust of sand. I brushed the sand off of my arms and legs and proceeded to the spot of the shell I wanted. To my dismay the sand blanketed the entire area and the sky was too dim to have a clue as to where it had lied. I used my hands to brush random sections of the area in an attempt to guess its location.
I found a couple of other, paler shells that weren’t it and was on the brink of giving up and heading home. I made it clear that this was my goal and that I shouldn’t quit. I made some last minute skims of the surface sand when I was sure that this hard object was the one I wanted. It was! I made sure that I didn’t lose the exact place and put a bigger rock upright near it. Then, I found a flatter and sharper, broken piece of a large shell to dig around the shell. I made sure I was going to be able to retrieve it this time. I made a snug grip around the smaller, round end of the shell and pulled with all of my might and managed to loosen it enough to land me on the ground behind me. I finally have it right here in my hands. I was relieved. No one will have this but me now. It’s the most unique thing that I’ve ever found outside that I can take home with me. I was really shiny, too, I thought to myself. As I tried to get up off the sandy ground, another even stronger wind gushed from the ocean air and, when I let go of the shell a second time, I wiped the sand out of my eyes. When I was done my vision was still a little blurry. I hoped that I hadn’t lost my shell again. as I regained my sight, I looked down but to my amazement it was still there. I picked it up and stood upright only to notice a clever design left in the sand after the wind. I hadn’t seen this before so I stepped closer. It wasn’t a pattern at all it was some kind of writing in the sand. Someone must’ve drawn it there before and I hadn’t known. It was written interestingly neat and was in the form of a sentence.
                “ALL WHO WANDER ARE NOT LOST”
I thought for a minute to ponder this phrase. I thought I was clever so I added: WHAT ARE THEY LOOKING FOR? I thought that I was being smart. I put the shell in my pocket and headed towards the dock that I wanted to photograph. The picture came out really nice and looked almost professional. I figured that it was anyway. I came back to the spot that had the writing in the sand and found that I was still there. A great, strong wind skimmed the area once more and, as I removed the sand from my face the writing was gone—only to be replaced by something different which read:
“THE BEAUTY, PERHAPS IN THE EYES OF THE BEHOLDER”
                                                                                                                -BY JEFF CHAMBERLAIN

No comments:

Post a Comment